Thursday, September 11, 2014

September Shipping: Tumblr Challenge, Question 6, "How Do You Feel About Love Triangles?"

Rarely, if ever, am I a fan of three or more characters getting caught up in a love poly-whatever angle. Ever.

I'm a fantasy-adventure type girl, honestly. I'd rather two characters slowly develop feelings for each other as a sweet, sweet side dish to of all the main action rather than have the romance become the center and sole purpose of telling the story. Don't get me wrong, I can get on board with a good romance every once in awhile. Plus, jealousy, overprotectiveness, argumentative relationship drama ...all good things that can give me the warm and fuzzies about two highly shippable characters. All these things that add tension and interest, and that's great. What isn't great is dragging one or more of your characters through the dirt for a prolonged amount of time just because you can't think of anything else interesting that might happen in the story.*

It's just that I like to know that these people have lives apart from their romantic interests. If they don't, it just kind of depressing. Like maybe they don't have two legs to be able to stand on their own. It makes it harder to imagine them as "real" people when we don't know much else about them. I need my characters to be whole and not just someone else's love interest.

Sorry, I have a lot of feelings about this one.


*There are, of course, exceptions to every rule...and please let me know if you have any die-hard ships that fit this description.

No comments:

Post a Comment